[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:04:53 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 02:03, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> No. The material the guidepost is made from is of lesser importance to
> the fact that it is a 'guidepost'.

That is one viewpoint.  It is something indicating the path of a route.
Collect them all under one tag because they all specify that kind
of information, no matter what they look like.  It makes overpass
queries easier, etc.  That's why trail blazes are
information=trail_blaze and not guidepost.  Ooops!

Another viewpoint is that these things LOOK different even though they
may convey the same information.  As waypoints, if you're looking for
a signpost you may discount what looks like graffiti on a distant rock.

These are signposts.  They are signs.  On posts.
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5901641
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4006975
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6191138
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6324438
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3507964

What you are describing is not a signpost.  It's more of a blaze
with text.  If I were insistent upon ramming a square peg into
a round hole, I'd abuse trail_blaze rather than guidepost.
Because THERE IS NO POST.

--
Paul