[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:58:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:59 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Different cultural expectations.  You're looking for information about a
> trail and don't care what form it takes.

I suppose that you therefore consider that the principal tag for these
objects, `tourism=information` is somewhat misleading, since it suggests
that the informative function rather than the shape is the important
attribute?

And I guess I had better go back and get a better picture of
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/9438767603 because in the photo I can't
really tell whether that's a poorly-set post made from a fallen tree trunk,
or a sign nailed to a tree that fell over and had its top cropped because
it was likely obstructing the trail. (Which would be fine; I haven't
climbed Indian Head in a few years, and it's got a nice view. It'll have to
wait, though, until the local authorities give me a less ambiguous 'green
light' that it's OK to travel there.)

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin