[Tagging] Two side-of-road parking questions

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 21:26:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 21:00, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Interesting. By that criteria, I would think that
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/826561593 has on-street parking,

Tough call.  In isolation it looks like a parking lane, but it has markings
for car parking.  On-street parking (at least where I am) doesn't usually
have that.  However, when I switch to Virginia imagery (much clearer)
I see the parking extends around the corner.  From the geometry,
I'd say that was a parking lot.

> but
> would you argue that all of Potomac Avenue
> (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/686513005

>From the fact that parking spaces are marked, it's not a parking
lane, in my opinion.  But this is OSM, opinions are divided on
everything, and this one is a judgement call.  If there were no
cars parked there, you could drive over those empty
parking spaces (whether it would be legal or not is another
matter), but I wouldn't call it a parking lane.

> > Pretend they don't exist.  Map something else instead.
>
> Alas, my end goal isn't just to map for the sake of mapping, but to have
> a map that is usable for another project :-). Right now, having as much
> parking mapped as possible is relevant to that objective.

Ah.  That makes life difficult for you.

> Actually, I did mean the six spaces on the west side of Broadway. I
> recommend looking at e.g.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=22/38.52057/-77.29185 for all of
> those, it will be easier to tell what's centered.

That's a parking lot rather than on-street parking.  At least, that's how
I'd map it.  If no cars were parked you couldn't drive along it without
some turns.  If you mapped the highway itself as an area, that
parking would be a pregnant bulge.  This is how I handled a
similar one:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.08562&mlon=-4.65829#map=19/52.08562/-4.65829

Somebody objected that whilst that looked right when rendered, when you
examined it
in the editor it misleadingly implied that you could park with one end of
your car blocking half
of the street.  I did one car park which attempted to deal with that
complaint:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.10572&mlon=-4.37367#map=19/52.10572/-4.37367
but it looks so ugly that I doubt I'll do that again.

In the end, do what works for you and hope nobody else who comes across it
thinks it so egregiously wrong that they change it.  At least not until
you've
finished your project.

--
Paul