[Tagging] Two side-of-road parking questions

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:00:05 UTC 2020

On 23/07/2020 15.20, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 19:43, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to tag a whole bunch of side-of-road parking, and I have two
>> questions.
>>
>> First, what is the correct way to tag marked parking spaces? There is
>> parking:lane:*=marked which would seem to apply, but then it isn't clear
>> how to indicate the direction (parallel vs. diagonal vs. perpendicular)?
>> It's also not entirely clear when I am or am not supposed to use
>> 'marked'...
>>

> In a parking lot, amenity=parking_space.  It doesn't render on standard
> carto, so you may not feel it worth the effort.  If it's not obvious from
> the dimensions (parallel vs perpendicular should be) people will
> see when they get there.  You've given the capacity but can't
> map how many spaces are currently free - some things have to be
> left to inspection.
>
>> Second, at what point does "on street parking" become a parking lot?
>
> When it's not part of the street.

Interesting. By that criteria, I would think that
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/826561593 has on-street parking, but
would you argue that all of Potomac Avenue
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/686513005 and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/20453853 *is* or *is not* on-street
parking? What about https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/686513006?

>> I am particularly struggling to decide what to do at places such as:
>>
>>     38.52057/-77.29185
>>     38.52181/-77.29611
>>     38.52125/-77.29711
>
> Pretend they don't exist.  Map something else instead.

Alas, my end goal isn't just to map for the sake of mapping, but to have
a map that is usable for another project :-). Right now, having as much
parking mapped as possible is relevant to that objective.

> That first one is tricky.  I assume you're talking about the
> ordinary parking lot with the off-street parking adjoining rather
> than the separate 6-place parking next to the building.
Actually, I did mean the six spaces on the west side of Broadway. I
recommend looking at e.g.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=22/38.52057/-77.29185 for all of
those, it will be easier to tell what's centered.

That said...

> I'd map it as a large parking lot (as you have) and then the
> side-of-street but as a separate off-street parking of the type you
> did for https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/829371451 then combine the
> two in a multipolygon.
...I was wondering about this also, so thanks for the thoughts! To be
clear, you are suggesting to *not* use parking_lane stuff for this?

> Actually, that#s three separate bits of off-street-parking because they're
> interrupted by the access roads into the larger parking area.

Meh, parking aisles and even driveways pass through lots all the time, I
think modeling them as three separate lots may be overkill :-).

--
Matthew