[Tagging] Two side-of-road parking questions

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 14:26:30 UTC 2020

On 24/07/2020 10.18, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 15:00, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> On 24/07/2020 08.19, Paul Allen wrote:
>>> The image in the wiki for parking lanes matches
>>> what I expect of it.  As in this situation near me:
>>> https://goo.gl/maps/WUZKmhQTDSRsgnDx7 on the right
>>> of the road are double yellow lines, which mean "no parking
>>> or waiting at any time" (but there are exceptions) and on
>>> the left is a single yellow line which means "parking and
>>> waiting permitted some of the time" (though there are
>>> exceptions and provisions and it gets complicated).  The
>>> left is a parking lane, as I understand it.  There are no
>>> parking spaces marked.
>>
>> AFAIK there is nothing exactly like that in the US. People do park on
>> streets (note 5th, 4th and 3rd Avenues, as previously mentioned), and
>> there is sometimes signage regulating this.
>
> Sounds like the same thing,  Near enough.  Especially if some streets
> have signs saying "no parking at any time."

Right; I didn't mean "we don't have on-street parking", I meant we don't
mark it like that.

Relatedly: I would call that "on-street parking". To me, a "parking
lane" is actually more like the NYC video I linked, i.e. a space that is
dedicated to *parking* and not intended to be used by through traffic.
This is probably a large part of the confusion, as it seems that what
OSM calls a "parking lane" is what I would call "on-street parking", and
what I call a "parking lane", OSM considers a parking lot.

>> BTW, this is what NYC apparently considers a "parking lane":
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJv4oleZAhQ
>
> That's a "floating parking lane," according to the video.

Yeah, I don't know what "floating" means there.

> Looks to me like a parking lot adjoining a road at one side and
> adjoining a cycle lane at the other.  I say this because of what is
> visible at the left of that "floating parking lane" - an obstacle.
> Even with no vehicles parked there, through traffic would be
> obstructed.  Difficult to be sure, from the video, though.  I'm glad
> I don't have anything like that around here, otherwise I'd have to
> figure out how to map it.

It's pretty typical of what I'm dealing with in Quantico, though. We
seem to have come to an agreement to map this as a "lot".

>> That said, I think the US definition may be "a lane which is for
>> parking, rather than through traffic, and which may be intermittently
>> present" (e.g. the above video). However, I am much *less* convinced
>> that it is useful to model them that way, at least in the current state
>> of things.
>
> Was there through traffic in the parking lane itself in the above video?

I can state with some confidence that there isn't *intended* to be.
Again, I think we've agreed to treat that as a "lot". (Which I believe
is what I was trying to say, admittedly very badly, with the above.)

--
Matthew