[Tagging] Two side-of-road parking questions

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 14:52:04 UTC 2020

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 15:26, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 24/07/2020 10.18, Paul Allen wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like the same thing,  Near enough.  Especially if some streets
> > have signs saying "no parking at any time."
>
> Right; I didn't mean "we don't have on-street parking", I meant we don't
> mark it like that.

Tomato/tomahto. :)

> Relatedly: I would call that "on-street parking". To me, a "parking
> lane" is actually more like the NYC video I linked, i.e. a space that is
> dedicated to *parking* and not intended to be used by through traffic.

That's my take on it, too.

This is probably a large part of the confusion, as it seems that what
> OSM calls a "parking lane" is what I would call "on-street parking", and
> what I call a "parking lane", OSM considers a parking lot.

A lot of the documentation was written by people who don't have British
English as a first language.  You have to look at the pictures, too.

> >> BTW, this is what NYC apparently considers a "parking lane":
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJv4oleZAhQ
> >
> > That's a "floating parking lane," according to the video.
>
> Yeah, I don't know what "floating" means there.

You don't?  It even explained it in the video.  Or the description.
Somewhere.
The parking spaces are detached from the sidewalk because there's a
bicycle lane between the two.

> > Looks to me like a parking lot adjoining a road at one side and
> > adjoining a cycle lane at the other.  I say this because of what is
> > visible at the left of that "floating parking lane" - an obstacle.
> > Even with no vehicles parked there, through traffic would be
> > obstructed.  Difficult to be sure, from the video, though.  I'm glad
> > I don't have anything like that around here, otherwise I'd have to
> > figure out how to map it.
>
> It's pretty typical of what I'm dealing with in Quantico, though. We
> seem to have come to an agreement to map this as a "lot".

It's how I'd handle the one in the video.  But that's just me, bringing my
own cultural assumptions and idiosyncrasies with me.  And I'm
very idiosyncratic.

> > Was there through traffic in the parking lane itself in the above video?
>
> I can state with some confidence that there isn't *intended* to be.

I don't recall seeing any.  I don't want to use up more of my
download limit checking, so I'm relying on my increasingly-
defective memory.

Again, I think we've agreed to treat that as a "lot". (Which I believe
> is what I was trying to say, admittedly very badly, with the above.)

I think it's a floating parking lot not a floating parking lane. :)

--
Paul