[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 11:06:09 UTC 2020

(re adding guideposts to route relations)

On 21/07/2020 22:18, Peter Elderson wrote:
> I think the Why question comes first!

Why do people in OSM map anything?  I can't see any reason why I'd want
to add urban buildings, or comprehensive address data, or a whole bunch
of other things that people think are _really important_.  Part of the
reason that OSM works as a project is that people map what is important
to them without many predefined rules of what should be mapped, and the
variety of people's interests means that OSM tends to record stuff that
commercial maps simply don't bother with - not because they didn't think
that it would make money, but because they just never thought of it.

To answer the direct question - having the guideposts visible as part of
the relation makes it easy to visualise how (and where) a trail is signed.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1996318 is "officially unmarked",
but there is some signage - more in some places than others.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8450999 I've walked quite a lot
of and I've found exactly _one_ guidepost so far.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6366232#map=11/54.4646/-0.9798 I
have not found any signage for at all.

Best Regards,

Andy