[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 13:15:42 UTC 2020

Op za 25 jul. 2020 om 13:07 schreef Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com>:

> (re adding guideposts to route relations)
>
> On 21/07/2020 22:18, Peter Elderson wrote:
> > I think the Why question comes first.

Why do people in OSM map anything?  I can't see any reason why I'd want
> to add urban buildings, or comprehensive address data, or a whole bunch
> of other things that people think are _really important_.

That's why I ask.

> To answer the direct question - having the guideposts visible as part of
> the relation makes it easy to visualise how (and where) a trail is signed.

(I don't disagree, just playing DA).
1. Unsigned trails should not be in the map database (yes I know, with a
few very noteable exceptions eg a crest trail known by everybody but me, it
follows the crest so you could say, the crest is the signage).

2. The guideposts are on or near the trail, so the association is there.
They are visible on the map on or near the trail as features of their own.

3. Symbol, colour, ref, name, operator on guideposts and other waymarks,
are tagged on the route relation. That's what makes it a route, not the
exact position of the waymarks and guideposts. The waymarks could all be
repositioned while the route stays the same. In fact,  I maintain a route
that coïncides with another one for a stretch. The positions of guideposts
and other waymarks is very very different, still the routes on that stretch
are identical.

I think the why (why does it need to be *in the relation) *needs more than
this. I don't oppose, but I see a lot of maintenance work; which is fine if
there is a purpose in terms of data use and rendering, and a
probablity that people will use the information for real.