[Tagging] FWD: Re: narrow=yes, vs lanes=1, vs width

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 23:37:32 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 5:07 PM Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

>>   I assume if the highway has no name, it'd be highway=service, but if
>> it has a county name, like "Lost Gulch Road" too, wouldn't it then be
>> highway=residential? Is there a difference if it's vacation cabins, or
>> seasonal or full-time houses ?
>>

> I don't think so.  The typical named forest service road isn't typically
> better or worse than the unnamed ones that only go by their ref.

I consider the fact that a road has a name as a "hint" that it might not be
a track, but it shouldn't provide a definitive answer. There are named
tracks around here (Colorado, US), especially if they are popular with 4x4
folks, ATV'ers, mountain bikers, etc.  The real test is whether it leads to
facilities that are occupied by humans on a more or less full time on-going
basis.  Full time residences (or occupied a significant part of the year)
=residential, on going business where employees, customers, etc. visit
daily =service.

Mike