[Tagging] kerb=regular vs. raised

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Jul 29 22:02:09 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:57 AM Supaplex <supaplex at riseup.net> wrote:

> I started mapping detailed sidewalk information in my area, including
> crossing and kerb information. It seems that there is a lack of clarity in
> the differentiation between raised and regular ("normal", neither lowered
> nor raised) kerbs. "kerb=regular" is already in use but is undocumented and
> should be explicitly distinguished from "kerb=raised". There is a relevant
> difference not only for wheelchair users, but also for other mobility
> groups (cargo bikes, strollers, pedestrians with reduced mobility…).

The wiki has a raised kerb as any kerb greater than 3cm in height. Your
definition of a regular kerb is one greater than or equal to 10cm.  A
raised kerb is a barrier to wheelchair and others with mobility issues just
as one that is 10cm or higher. I'm not sure what is gained by adding
another classification since the ability to add kerb:height already exist.
I can see adding a comment to the wiki page stating that the typical height
of a raised kerb  is around 10cm - assuming there is some research stating
that.

> So I propose adding "kerb=regular" to the tagging list in the wiki as well
> as suitable descriptions for height, use… and an example image. I made a
> suggestion in the wiki (since there has been no reaction so far I post it
> here):
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:kerb#kerb.3Dregular_vs._raised_--_add_.22regular.22_example
>
> Is there a reason not to add this? Otherwise I’ll do that.
>

> My recommendation would be not to add a new classification that will only
confuse mappers and data consumers.

Best,
Clifford

--