[Tagging] Map maintenance with StreetComplete - Preferred tagging

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Thu Jul 30 08:37:32 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 01:55:45AM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > On 26. Jul 2020, at 23:58, ael <witwall3 at disroot.org> wrote:
> >
> > Adding such source tags to a changeset seldom makes sense.
> > Most of my changesets are a mixture of local knowledge, surveys, gps,
> > photographic and video. I even occasionally use satellite imagery...
> > So the source data needs to be fine grained on the elements themselves.
>
> maybe you should upload more often and less things at a time. I sometimes add several sources like aerial imagery and survey to the same changeset. FWIW, I believe the most relevant information is: di you know the area (local knowledge or not) and have you been there to gather the information you are adding or is it based on aerial imagery.

When I am mapping new areas, it is often simple, but when updating
(almost always from gps surveys) things get complex. I often notice
adjoing ways & features are missing, poorly mapped or whatever, so there
I may use imagery as an interim measure. Likewise for inaccessible
places. For existing elements I almost always check the history to see
what sort of status the existing information has. A changeset comment
listing all the various sources isn't going to help unless I have a new
changeset for almost every way. The source tag solves the problem.
> > Furthermore, when updating an element, I can see any source tags right
> > there.
>
> and what are you doing with them when you modify the object? Do you keep them, remove them, amend them, change them?

Amend and expand. It annoys me when other mappers come along and change
data, often without survey, and then do not update the source, so
that tag becomes completely misleading. These are the same sort of mappers
who replace high quality surveyed data with armchair guesses,
downgrading the map:-(

ael