[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jul 30 09:19:27 UTC 2020

Jul 30, 2020, 09:44 by frederik at remote.org:

> in my view, the EU is not an administrative body with a border and many
> parts (countries), but instead the countries have made a contract to
> form the EU.

EU is in a weird state where it is sort of organization of countries
sort of administrative body with borders.

see mentioned Lisbon treaty see also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Border_and_Coast_Guard_Agency

> I would therefore object to mapping the EU as an entity with a boundary;

I am not opposing it and it seems defensible.

> I know there's a tendency among some mappers to try and map
> multipolygons or administrative boundaries for anything that has a name,
> but that practice is not helpful. I don't even dare to look but I
> wouldn't be surprised if some helpful soul has meanwhile decided to map
> "the Atlantic", "the Pacific", or "Eurasia", assembling thousands of
> little coastline pieces into giant relations in painstaking, week-long
> work... sigh.

Unlike such objects EU has (AFAIK) well defined border, matching
existing administrative boundaries, so problems inherent in
mapping fuzzy objects are not present.