[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 30 09:38:40 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 30.07.20 11:19, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> Unlike such objects EU has (AFAIK) well defined border, matching
> existing administrative boundaries, so problems inherent in
> mapping fuzzy objects are not present.

I'm not an expert on international treaties but I believe that if France
bought Alaska from the US tomorrow, then Alaska would become part of the
EU, without the EU having much of a say in it, isn't that so?

This is of course a very hypothetical example but little swaps of
un-inhabited land happen between neighbouring countries from time to
time. The "EU boundary" is the sum of whatever national boundaries its
member states have. Same with the "Schengen area" which is guarded by
Frontex which you linked to; it's a construct that is the result of a
contract but not an administrative area.

> I am not opposing it and it seems defensible.

Anything is, on this mailing list ;)

Bye
Frederik