[Tagging] food forests / forest gardening

Justin Tracey j3tracey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 14:20:00 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-30 7:40 a.m., Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 12:34, joost schouppe <joost.schouppe at gmail.com
> <mailto:joost.schouppe at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Someone tried to map a "food forest" near me.
>

> The best I could come up with, given that it described itself as part
> orchard,
> was landuse=orchard.  If we ever come up with a more appropriate tag I'll
> change it.
>
> --
> Paul

Forest gardens are definitely not orchards. For one, they're designed to
resemble (or be) natural ecologies as much as possible, and therefore
look very different; and two, most of the food in them doesn't actually
come from the trees (or rather, doesn't come directly from the trees --
again, the point is to be a healthy ecology), so they function and
operate very differently.

 - Justin