[Tagging] food forests / forest gardening

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 14:38:54 UTC 2020

A landuse=orchard is any area of perennial shrubs and trees which is used
to produce food. In the tropics this tag is used for bananas tea and
coffee, and oil date palms, all of which are not exactly “orchards” in the
British sense. This was proposed in the original vote.

So if Wikipedia is correct that  “ The three main products from a forest
garden are fruit, nuts and green leafy vegetables
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_vegetable>.“ it is probably mainly
landuse=orchard + landuse=farmland as a secondary use.

I also see that these are called a “huerto familiar” in Mexico, which
literally means “family orchard”.

Perhaps landuse=orchard + orchard=forest_garden would work?

Note that we previously discussed a similar issue with areas that are used
as orchards + pasture in Spain, if I recall

Since almost any 2 types of agricultural land can be combined, it might be
better to think about a wholistic solution, since as a way to tag the
secondary landuse or secondary vegetation of a certain area.

- Joseph