[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Phake Nick c933103 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:57:55 UTC 2020

在 2020年7月31日週五 00:24,Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com> 寫道:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 16:38, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Am Do., 30. Juli 2020 um 17:13 Uhr schrieb Alan Mackie <
>> aamackie at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> This is why I suggested that the more practical solution would probably
>>> be to re-tag all existing admin_level=2 with admin_level=1 except for the
>>> EU ones as there are far fewer elements to be updated. Arbitrarily deciding
>>> that the EU gets its own admin_level not used by other top level entities
>>> breaks consistency with the rest of the world for the sake of local pride.
>>>

>> which other top level entities are you getting at? Why should we not tag
>> these with the same tag?
>>

> Other independent nations, this is why I suggested the promotion of all
> other admin_level=2 if we went this rote

admin_level=1 is by definition higher than national level.
I would say a historical example could be German Confederation, before the
unification of Germany
Another historical example could be the Communist Bloc, which is larger
than the Soviet Union.
It might also be useful to map the limit of power of other countries that
formally controls a number of tributary, vassal or proxy states beyond its
own border.