[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 21:06:00 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 19:59, Phake Nick <c933103 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 在 2020年7月31日週五 00:24,Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com> 寫道:
>

>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 16:38, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> which other top level entities are you getting at? Why should we not tag
>>> these with the same tag?
>>>

>> Other independent nations, this is why I suggested the promotion of all
>> other admin_level=2 if we went this rote
>>

> admin_level=1 is by definition higher than national level.

According to the wiki, but current practice doesn't really use it for much
beyond historic sites according to previous replies to this thread.  At a
practical level it mostly seems reserved for future use.

I would say a historical example could be German Confederation, before the
> unification of Germany
> Another historical example could be the Communist Bloc, which is larger
> than the Soviet Union.
> It might also be useful to map the limit of power of other countries that
> formally controls a number of tributary, vassal or proxy states beyond its
> own border.

For the 'territories formerly known as colonies' that formally remain at
least partly attached to their former ruling states a variety of levels are
currently in use. The self governing ones seem to be tagged as
admin_level=2, others as 3 or 4 depending on how they see themselves. At
least in my non-scientific look at the ones that happened to pop into my
head. These largely seem to have found their own solutions within OSM's
existing tagging structure. Attempting to tag proxy states seems like
taking political stances that OSM has historically tried to stay as far
away from as possible.

Many if not most of the entities mentioned in this discussion as being
candidates for "admin level above country" do have geographic reach
encompassing multiple countries, but are also limited in scope, often
severely. To tag such a limited body as fully encompassing a higher admin
level seems fundamentally flawed as a concept. If their powers were
expanded to have unlimited scope within that geographic area you would
effectively have a single larger country. Having an entity grow in scope
from "admin levels that includes (largely) independent countries" down to
admin level of a country seems counter to the general structure.