Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 03:04:50 UTC 2020

On 2/6/20 11:52 am, Phake Nick wrote:

> 在 2020年6月2日週二 09:26,Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>> 寫道:
>
>     On 30/5/20 12:48 am, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>     > My main point is that out there are things that consist of visible
>     > objects plus objects which have left visible traces, and also some
>     > pieces that have been completely erased, but of which we have
>     > documented knowledge of where they once were. The entire thing
>     makes
>     > sense only with all its parts. These things be of interest for some
>     > end users of OSM data, and hence, if someone has gone to the
>     length of
>     > mapping them, should find space in OSM.
>     > In my view a general rule that any mapper can erase any object from
>     > the map, when he does not see any trace of it, is certainly not
>     > correct , he may be removing parts of the thing thsat only with all
>     > its partsmakes sense.
>

>     Where an old railway line has been built over by houses, factories,
>     shops and roads I see no reason to retain the (historical)
>     information
>     in OSM.
>
>     The old railway station that still exists at one end - yes, but where
>     there is nothing, not even a hint, left then no.
>

> Except, it is relatively common for traces of old railway remain
> visible even after new development (e.g. house, factory, shop, road)
> have been made on top of their original site.

In the case I am thinking of it is not one house, one factory, one shop,
one road ... there are many. There is no sign left in this area. Gone.
Totally vanished.

> So that cabnot be used as a criteria to determine whether that should
> be removed or not although the exact situation varies a lot in each
> individual cases.
>
>     > Anyway i am against removing apparently useless data without
>     > consultation with the author, with the exception of clear errors.
>

>     Disagree.
>
>     Once the data is in OSM it is no longer the 'property' of the
>     author or
>     following editors.
>
>     If I am not certain of something I'll ask the author/flowing
>     editors but
>     where I know something is wrong I'll change it without consultation.
>
> If you are not sure of the use or validity of something then it would
> also be a good idea to ask those who might know about it.

How much time do you think I should spend searching for these people who
might know of it? And then once found how much time should I spend
trying to contact them?

Think about what you are asking an unpaid mapper to do?

I would think contacting the author and/or past editors of the item in
OSM is enough.