[Tagging] Overlapping naturals

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jun 2 21:19:10 UTC 2020

Jun 2, 2020, 21:37 by f at zz.de:

> Hi Rafael,
>
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 04:05:47PM +0200, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
>
>> Hi, all:
>>
>> Let's say we have a natural=scrub for example. Inside it (a part of it)
>> becomes seasonally wet, for example during the rainy (wet) season. How would
>> you better map this? Some possible approaches:
>>
>> 1. Having the area of all the scrub as natural=scrub, and the area that
>> becomes wet in its interior as natural=wetland + seasonal=yes (or
>> seasonal=wet_season)
>>
>> 2. Having a natural=scrub for the whole area, and for the wetland area
>> temporary:natural=wetland @ (May-Oct) or temporary:natural=wetland @
>> (wet_season)
>>
>> 3. Using a relation, with the tag natural=scrub, and the inner way with the
>> tags natural=scrub + temporary:natural=wetland @ (...)
>>

> For me overlapping natural or landuses are broken. An area can either
> be a natural=wood or a landuse=farmland. You cant include the same
> area in two types of usages or naturals.

You can.
You can have silvopasture ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvopasture )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silvopasture.jpg

You can have forested military base with wetland (real case).

You can probably find military base (landuse=military) with landuse=farmland.

There are residential areas in forests, there are industrial zones in military bases,
there are railway areas in military bases.

etc etc

You will have overlapping areas or stuff like
landuse=military_industrial_area_under_tree_cover_with_intermittent_wetland