Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 01:31:13 UTC 2020

On 2/6/20 9:44 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:23, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com
> <mailto:voschix at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Anyway the examples you find in OSM are few and in all cases I
>     know the completely erased bits are a tiny part of the overall
>     ex-railway.
>

> There are three ex-railways in my area (possibly more). Even though the
> rail part of those railways has mostly been removed, the way part of those
> railways is still mostly in evidence.  Apart from embankments,
> cuttings, bridges
> and tunnels there are the green corridors - either tree-lined hedges
> or trails cut
> through woods. Some sections have been repurposed as footpaths and/or
> cycle
> paths.  A few short sections have been resurrected as heritage
> railways.  The places
> where all traces have been removed and build over are very few and far
> between.
>
> I could delete those tiny sections of ex-railway that somebody spent time
> mapping, but then it loses the coherence that aids understanding (unless I
> shove the pieces into some sort of relation).
>
> I understand the perspective of the purists, and one day a purist may come
> along and remove sections where all traces have gone. But I have other
> things
> I could be mapping so I won't bother doing it myself.
>
> --
> Paul

Here is an entry by some one who thinks it should be in OSM ...

Way: former Ballarat - Buninyong line (802945247)

   Tags:
     "name"="former Ballarat - Buninyong line"
     "embankment"="yes"
     "railway"="razed"
     "ruined:railway"="rail"

If you look you will see that this 'embankment' does not EXIST ... there
are two car parks over it that show no sign of any embankment. There is
a building over it ... roads ... it does not exist.

Yet the person 'maps' it.

Note I put it into OHM some 2 years ago and removed it from OSM. Should
I report them to DWG?