Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:44:56 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:23, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

Anyway the examples you find in OSM are few and in all cases I know the
> completely erased bits are a tiny part of the overall ex-railway.

There are three ex-railways in my area (possibly more).  Even though the
rail part of those railways has mostly been removed, the way part of those
railways is still mostly in evidence.  Apart from embankments, cuttings,
bridges
and tunnels there are the green corridors - either tree-lined hedges or
trails cut
through woods. Some sections have been repurposed as footpaths and/or cycle
paths.  A few short sections have been resurrected as heritage railways.
The places
where all traces have been removed and build over are very few and far
between.

I could delete those tiny sections of ex-railway that somebody spent time
mapping, but then it loses the coherence that aids understanding (unless I
shove the pieces into some sort of relation).

I understand the perspective of the purists, and one day a purist may come
along and remove sections where all traces have gone.  But I have other
things
I could be mapping so I won't bother doing it myself.

--
Paul