[Tagging] Features underwater (inside reservoirs)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 10:47:23 UTC 2020

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 10:22, Lanxana . <lanxanae at gmail.com> wrote:

We have been looking for how to tag the ruins of constructions (buildings,
> bridges or roads) that are inside some reservoirs. Although they generally
> remain underwater, but in times of drought, when the reservoir level drops
> low enough, they can be visited on foot.  Like this [1]
>
> On first time, the combination historic=ruins + building=yes (or whatever
> corresponds) identifies that it’s a historical feature,

The wiki page on historic features says that historic=* is to identify
features
of historic interest.  See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Historic
The key historic=* is not a synonym for old=*.  Admittedly, the page also
says it is somewhat subjective as to what is of historic interest, but it
gives
several criteria which I do not think are satisfied here.

Nor is historic=ruins really appropriate.  Some of the buildings may be
intact.
And they're not really of historic interest.  The ruins of St Dogmaels Abbey
qualify as historic=ruins.  See
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St_Dogmaels_Abbey_-_geograph.org.uk_-_309701.jpg

A better way of handling non-historic ruins, is to use ruins=yes or
namespace the key, such as ruins:building=house.  There has been
much debate on this list as to which of those two is correct and if one is
preferred over the other in certain circumstances.  All I'll point out
is that with some renderers ruins:building=house does not render
but with ruins=yes it does.

If the building is not in ruins but has been abandoned (by virtue of being
underwater most of the time, then abandoned:building=house or
abandoned=yes.

> it’s in ruins and/or it isn’t habitable. But how to indicate that it’s
> underwater partially or totally and its access is occasionally possible,
> when the water drops?

location=underwater accounts for normal state.  You could possibly use a
conditional to indicate occasional visibility but it's probably not worth
it.  Especially
as most of the rare times it's uncovered it will only be partially
uncovered to a
greater or lesser extent.  A note or description on the body of water is
probably
the way to handle it: "During times of low water some buildings may be
visible."

> I find these tags, but none convinces me:
>
> Historic=wreck [2] -> only for nautical elements

Specifically for vessels.  "Wreck" as in "shipwreck."

> Location=underwater [3] -> it seems that it’s appropriate but the
> description tells “installed between a water surface and the floor
> beneath”, it isn’t the case…

But see also https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:location which does not
say "installed."  I suspect that "installed" was used in the page you found
because it was written by somebody who does not have English as a first
language or was written by somebody who was only thinking of man-made
POIs.  Or maybe it was written by somebody who didn't like using the
word "located" because it seemed a little repetitious so went with
"installed."

So building=whatever + ruins=yes + location=underwater or
ruins:building=whatever + location=underwater.

--
Paul