[Tagging] Help explain the difference between path and track

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jun 9 22:45:00 UTC 2020

Jun 9, 2020, 21:53 by bradhaack at fastmail.com:

> It already says this:
>  "Some > highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => track>  are used for various leisure activities - hiking, cycling, or as    jeep/ATV trails.    "
>  on the track wiki.  > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack
>
>  I propose changing the path page from this:
>  "If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), and    it is not legally signposted or otherwise only allowed for    pedestrians, cyclists or horseriders, it is often better tagged as a > highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => track <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack>>  or > highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => service <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice>> .    "
>
>  to this:
>  "If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), it    is often better tagged as a > highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => track <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack>>  or > highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>> => service <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice>> .    "
>
>  > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath

Many highway=path are 2m+ and not used as access to fields or for forestry use.

And if something is used as access to fields or for forestry use and car-sized vehicle
can fit there it already fulfills definition of a track.

>  To clarify, we could change the track page from this:
>  "This > tag <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag>>  represents roads for    mostly agricultural use, forest tracks etc.; often unpaved    (unsealed) but may apply to paved tracks as well, that are suitable    for > two> -track vehicles, such as tractors or jeeps."
>  to this:
>  "This > tag <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag>>  represents roads for    agricultural use, forest tracks, > recreation> , etc.; often    unpaved (unsealed) but may apply to paved tracks as well, that are    suitable for > two> -track vehicles, such as tractors or jeeps.    "

I am not convinced that starting to tag larger cycleways as highway=track would be improvement.

I deeply dislike entire concept of highway=track (IMHO it is a big mistake together with highway=path),
but this would make it even worse.