[Tagging] bicycle_parking=? for stands where handlebar is used to hold bicycle in position

Hidde Wieringa hidde at hiddewieringa.nl
Mon Jun 15 18:30:49 UTC 2020

Good evening,

In the region where I live there are 657 objects tagged with
amenity=bicycle_parking, of which 457 have no bicycle_parking tag at
all. I would say that classification of the bicycle_parking is
undertagged in general.

Parking the bicycle by handlebar is not the norm in The Netherlands, but
there are many instances of handlebar bicycle parking (I have no numbers
on this though) [1] [2]. Especially at schools and places that need to
be kept clean (because the bicycles do not 'clutter' when they are
parked). It is also compatible with most types of bicycles, and there is
no danger of bending the wheel when parked. I hope that by introducing
this additional tag on the wiki more amenity=bicycle_parking can be
classified correctly (and fully).

At this moment the tagging of bicycle_parking=handlebar_holder only
exists in Switzerland, and one node which I created just now in The
Netherlands.

I agree that a full proposal to add this tag would not add anything.

As for editor support.
- ID editor: and bicycle_parking is a free-form-taginfo-autocompleted
field. Once the tag is used enough it will be autocompleted in the
combobox. No action is necessary. [3]
- JOSM: the list is hard-coded, and may need to be expanded. This would
be a simple patch to the presets. [4]
- StreetComplete: The linked issues show an interesting discussion. It
is unclear if an additional way of parking a bicycle would be a problem
if it is sufficiently different from the existing types in the app (the
main argument in the linked issues).

Kind regards,
/Hidde Wieringa/

[1] (NL) https://bike-safe.nl/index.php/fietsparkeeroplossingen/stuurdrager