[Tagging] Milk Churn Stands

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 13:07:15 UTC 2020

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 13:13, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked around a bit (I am a city dweller, apologies, if this is new to
> me)
> In South Tyrol (Italy) they have an interesting variant of this concept.
> The dairy uses refrigerated containers which are parked in designated spots
> at scheduled times. The nearby farmers bring their milk to the container
> and fill it up. The full containers are collected and carried to the dairy.
> I found this photograph <https://www.instagram.com/p/BmnYj96Bc5h/> of
> such a container on Instagram.
> I suppose this is not a mappable feature.

It's not a milk churn stand because there is no platform.  If you find one
of
these with a platform then that would be a milk churn stand.

It ought to be mappable, even so.  There is an area of paved surface
adjoining
the road.  It might be a small car park (mappable) or a lay-by (mappable) or
a passing place (mappable).  So such areas are mappable, we just don't have
tags for such areas with this particular function.  I see no reason why
there
could not be, especially if there is signage telling people not to park
there
because it is a collection point.  You could propose suitable tagging.

Or, you could bodge it. :)  You could make the area where the containers
are placed highway=service + area=yes.  You could ask the locals what its
name is and they'll probably respond with the local language equivalent of
"Milk Collection Point" or "Milk Collection Point 46" or some such which
(in common with many things in rural areas) is a name that looks
suspiciously
like a functional description, so you can name it.  OSM purists will now be
clutching their pearls, so add a fixme saying it should be retagged when
suitable tagging becomes available.

More seriously, we probably should find a way to map collection points
because, on the ground, a tourist may think they're just parking spots and
park there.  highway=collection_point + area=yes + collection_point=milk,
maybe.  Some would argue it's not a highway, so maybe
amenity=collectoin_point + access=private + collection_point=milk.
I've purposely added a collection_point subtag rather than make it
*=milk_collection_point so we can handle other things without
over-burdening a top-level tag with more values.

Of course, that would then have overlap for those milk churn stands
that are still functional, and that complicates things.  So maybe we should
forget those milk collection points exist. :)

--
Paul