[Tagging] Are rowboats covered by "boat=*" or "canoe=*"?

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Tue Jun 23 07:58:06 UTC 2020

Am 23.06.2020 um 06:29 schrieb Joseph Eisenberg:
> The wiki page Key:boat <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:boat>
> says that tag is to specify
>
> "Legal access restriction for boats. In the sense of OSM these are
> small boats and pleasure crafts, including yachts."
>
> The picture shows a "no rowboats" sign: File:A.16_Fahrverbot.svg
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:A.16_Fahrverbot.svg>
>
> But there is also a key canoe=* - the page Key:canoe
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:canoe> says:
>
> "Legal access restriction for boats without a motor or a sail like
> canoes, kajaks or rowboats."
>
> I can see how canoes and kayaks are basically the same, since both are
> narrow boats that usually carry 1 or 2 people and are propelled by
> paddles.
>
> But should rowboat access restrictions be under this key
> canoe=yes/no/designated, or are they under boat=yes/no/designated - or
> something else?

I would consider a rowboat a 'boat' - but the problem is that the "No
rowboat" sign does not mean the vehicle class but the 'drive' of the
vehicle:
"A boat that is _not_ driven by motor or sail."
So it also forbids canoe/kayak.

So the access can only be determined correctly if a rowboat is
considered with the access canoe=*.

E.g. the german regulations differ

a) by drive
- motor
- sail
- oars/paddle

b) by class
- sport (motor or sail boat/yacht - but not: canoe, kayak, rowboat,
surf..., jetski)
- waterski
- wind-/kitesurfing
- waterscooter/jetski

So the access restriction boat=* could only be used for 'sport' boats
with motor or sail.

Georg