[Tagging] How are protected_area (and national_park) boundaries determined?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:45:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:40 AM Rob Savoye <rob at senecass.com> wrote:

>   The rural area I live in is full of old mining claims, which are
> private property surrounded by public land.
Interesting.  I had always assumed that the land that a mining claim
covered continued to be owned by the Federal Government, but that the claim
holder had the right to extract minerals and hopefully an obligation to pay
the Federal Government some royalties if they were successful.

>   My nearby hamlet of <200 people is also surrounded by national forest.
> The forest is not "protected" at all, it's full of trails and jeep
> roads. A few of the larger ranchers have fencing, but it's a bit of a
> free for all elsewhere...
I know exactly what you are talking about, but apparently it is some
international standard that national forest like areas are called protected
areas and assigned a certain level of protection, even if in reality they
are less protected than if they were privately owned.

Mike