[Tagging] How are protected_area (and national_park) boundaries determined?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:38:49 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:21 AM Adam Franco <adamfranco at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:40 AM Rob Savoye <rob at senecass.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...] While I do use parcel maps on fire calls, adding all these
boundaries to OSM would be silly. I agree that mapping the outer boundary
is all that's needed.

> My main use of maps of National Forests is planning backcountry trips
that include dispersed camping. Knowing which parts are actually
owned/administered by the Forest Service is really important information. I
don't want to plan a whole trip only to discover when I hike in that my
ideal riverside camping destination is actually on a private inholding
posted with No Trespassing signs and that I'll need to hike a few more
hours to get back onto a FS-parcel where camping is allowed.
A similar situation happened to me recently, albeit with hiking rather than
camping.  I had intended to do a loop hike, but as I was nearing the
completion of the loop, just a mile from where I had parked, I encountered
a No Trespassing sign and had to turn around and retrace my steps adding
many miles to the hike.  On this particular day I didn't mind the extra
miles, but the situation could have been different.

Mike