[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop=bubble_tea

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Fri Jun 26 16:48:58 UTC 2020

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 12:42, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's basically a cafe. It prepares drinks to order. Best tagging I've
>> seen around me is amenity=cafe + cuisine=bubble_tea
>
> As described in the proposal, most lack seating.  Which makes those
> without seating shops rather than cafes.

This is the first time I'm hearing about an OSM distinction between
shop and cafe based on seating or not.

If there's an espresso counter that does takeaway only does that
become no longer an amenity=cafe + cuisine=coffee_shop? I can think of
several coffee shops in Toronto that only do takeaway - e.g. in office
areas, or near parks.

Would it not be better to tag dine_in=no or something?

>> I would suggest using an amenity tag rather than a shop tag since it's
>> much more like a cafe or a fast food place than a store.
>
> I can see that it's more like fast food since the stuff has to be prepared.
> But then I think "Starbucks."  Have we already standardized on a way
> of tagging somewhere without seats that sells takeaway coffee?

I'd use amenity=cafe + cuisine=coffee_shop, I guess could add
takeaway=only ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> If we don't have a way of mapping
> coffee takeaways then we probably need one that can,deal with coffee,
> bubble tea and whatever else with appropriate drink:*=*.

Still not sure why we can't just use cafe. Is "cafe" exclusively for
sit-down, dine-in places in British English?

--Jarek