[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting – Refugee site location

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:11:18 UTC 2020

I do not believe the concerns and questions at the talk page have been
adequately addressed

(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Refugee_Site_Location)

 While I appreciate the idea of mapping locations related to refugees,
I do not think the proposed definition and tags wil work.

The description includes too many possibilities: "A refugee site is a
place that hosts refugee and/or IDP population and that is under
operation of the UNHCR or another organization (other NGO, government
agency, etc.). A refugee site can be a temporary site or a long term
site."

This could include a single building which which is operated by a
local church and hosts a single refugee family from another country
for a month or two. It could also include a huge semi-permanent
settlement with thousands of people, shops, businesses, permanent
structures and so on, which is nominally operated by a government
agency but which actually functions as a town for many years.

The definition needs to be changed so that it is clear what qualifies
and what does not.

Also, another new tag "refugee_site:for" is proposed with values
"refugee" or "IDP." The second value is bad because it's a rare
acronym for "internally displaced persons", and neither value is
defined. Apparently "refugree" might only be used for people who have
crossed a national border?

There is also mention of additional tags "operational_status" and
"official_status=unofficial" which are undefined. The second,
official_status, had a proposal but that one was quite different
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Official_status)

And operational_status=* has no wiki page, and this proposal does not
define it.

For these reasons, the current version of the proposal should not be approved.

I suggest improving the definition of the tags and making it very
clear which new tags are being approved by the proposal.

- Joseph Eisenberg