[Tagging] Public refrigerators

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Mar 3 18:37:21 UTC 2020

On 3/2/2020 3:57 PM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> I'm sure that there'd be a subcategory for 'hiker boxes' as well.
>   http://www.thetrailmaster.com/hike-smart/hiker-boxes-share-and-share-alike/
> https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/55460-quot-I-found-it-in-a-hiker-box-quot
> Major long-distance trails in the US often have them at resupply points.
>
> I've used them to leave gear, (for example a pair of gaiters that I
> was never going to use again because they turned out to be one size
> too small for my boots) and supplies (for example, about 750 ml of
> denatured alcohol when the store had it in litre cans, or three rolls
> of toilet paper from a 4-pack) in them. I've raided them to top up on
> things like hand sanitizer, plastic bags and coffee filters. (A hiker
> might need to carry a handful of filters or Ziplocs between resupply
> points; the stores sell them in packages of 100. Perfect application
> for 'share alike!') I even found that one contained a replacement for
> a broken buckle for one of the straps on my backpack - just when I
> needed one.

Hiker boxes are mentioned as part of the give_box proposal, tagged with
hiking=yes. Works for me, though I'd be fine with an amenity=hiker_box
tag if it appears to be warranted. That would make it easier to tag the
presence of a hiker box (hiker_box=yes) at a post office, shop, shelter,
hotel, etc.

It's impossible to predict what can be left and found -- in my
experience: clothing, food, instant drinks, maps, books, batteries, fuel
(including white gas, propane canisters, esbits, and alcohol), non-fuel
alcohol, painkillers, cookware, water bottles, water filters, tent
stakes, rope, ziplocks, duct tape, sewing kits, shoelaces, soap,
shampoo, toothpaste, probably a lot I'm forgetting. Often there are
unlabeled ziplocks full of mysterious powder, and it's anyone's guess if
it's food, beverage, or soap.

A related idea that might be worth tagging is: Places near a hiking
trail that will receive and hold resupply packages, including any
prohibited items (fuel eg) and whether a fee is charged for the service.
Very often these places will also feature hiker boxes stocked from
superfluous supplies.

Jason