[Tagging] Public refrigerators

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 20:57:20 UTC 2020

I'm sure that there'd be a subcategory for 'hiker boxes' as well.
 http://www.thetrailmaster.com/hike-smart/hiker-boxes-share-and-share-alike/
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/55460-quot-I-found-it-in-a-hiker-box-quot
Major long-distance trails in the US often have them at resupply points.

I've used them to leave gear, (for example a pair of gaiters that I
was never going to use again because they turned out to be one size
too small for my boots) and supplies (for example, about 750 ml of
denatured alcohol when the store had it in litre cans, or three rolls
of toilet paper from a 4-pack) in them. I've raided them to top up on
things like hand sanitizer, plastic bags and coffee filters. (A hiker
might need to carry a handful of filters or Ziplocs between resupply
points; the stores sell them in packages of 100. Perfect application
for 'share alike!') I even found that one contained a replacement for
a broken buckle for one of the straps on my backpack - just when I
needed one.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 1:56 PM Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 2/29/2020 3:43 AM, Markus Peloso wrote:
>
> I find amenity=give_box is different from amenity=food_sharing as a shop=general is different from shop=supermarket.
>

> In Switzerland if I go into a supermarket I found products of daily hygiene but the main thing is about shopping for food.
>
> True, and the use of the word "pantry" on the free pantry I mentioned tells me that it's primarily for food, so it should be fine to tag it as a free pantry and use a description tag for other info. There doesn't currently seem to be a better tag for a public pantry, so  I was inclined to call it a give box -- but it's distinct enough that it could get its own tag.
>

> The main thing by a give box is about sharing items. In the description I explicit excluded amenity=give_box + food=only because if you go to e give box you expect some items like clothes, small appliances, dishes, toys.
>
> Based on the proposal it seems like there's quite a range, so you can't know what a give box is for without checking additional tags. If this is not true -- if there's a set list of things that every give box should support -- then we'll end up needing other tags for bunch of new features (eg for the free art box.)
>

> Does a free pantry have some social aspect? Like given food to underprivileged or homless people social_facility:for=underprivileged, social_facility:for=homeless, …
>

> Based on the description on this website http://www.littlefreepantry.org/ I think the main thing is about sharing food and it is some kind of social service.
>
> I think Joseph's point is well-taken that there's a scale problem with using the word "facility" for a cupboard or fridge. It would be similar to using "library" for a public bookcase. Doesn't mean that we couldn't add eg "public_pantry:for=underprivileged" of course.
>
> The distinction is complicated by the fact that "food pantry" is sometimes used as a friendlier name for full-scale food bank facilities. (There are also many shops and restaurants called "pantry" of course -- it's a common synecdoche.)
>
> Here's where my head's landed:
>
> Public bookcase - Primarily for free sharing of books, may (in my experience) sometimes have other items like music or movies. Has its own well-supported tag. Rendered as a roof over a book.
>
> Free pantry - Primarily for free sharing of food, may include other items such as personal hygiene products. Often has a "donate to those in need" social service aspect, but this is not required. Probably deserves its own tag. Maybe render it as a roof over a hamburger or apple.
>
> Public refrigerator - A special case of free pantry, tag with refrigerated=yes.

> [...]

73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin