[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Thu Mar 12 02:31:15 UTC 2020

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 22:22, Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am thinking of cases like streetside stops for 30 m or 45 m long
> trams. There might be a shelter, which is the most prominent physical
> feature of the tram stop. There is no explicit platform. The tram stop
> sign might be 10 metres away from the shelter, and the farthest
> possible boarding point at the back doors of the tram another 10 m
> away. If only a single node could be used, where is it placed and why?
>
> How are you currently mapping such tram stops?
>
> I would indicate the point where passengers wait for the tram, near
> the front door, which is usually where the sign is located.
>
> But it needs to be verifiable: if another mapper rides the tram, they
> should be able to understand why the stop is at that location.

To give a real-world example:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3624133333 (Esri has the best
aerial imagery in this area) is placed where the sign for the stop is
located. In inclement weather, passengers may well be found waiting in
the transit shelter 8 metres to west, and the tram will stop for them
if they are waiting in the shelter. It might also stop if you are
waiting a little bit beyond the shelter. Exact stopping location can
vary a couple of metres from operator to operator. Where would you
place the one true node?

> If you map anything as an area, there needs to be a real-world feature
> that matches that area.

What do you think about the Berlin mapping of streetside tram stops
like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/389400777 - as a linear way
matching the stretch of the sidewalk where passengers might wait?

--Jarek