[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 03:09:12 UTC 2020

>  In inclement weather, passengers may well be found waiting in
the transit shelter 8 metres to west, and the tram will stop for them
if they are waiting in the shelter. It might also stop if you are
waiting a little bit beyond the shelter

In this case it sounds like the tram operators are allowed to stop in
several different places.

I would pick the place where the tram normally stops: either at the
sign or the location of the shelter, depending on the standard
practice in the local area. Either way, tram riders will be directed
to the correct location by routing apps: an 8 meter difference is not
significant.

>  Berlin mapping of streetside tram stops like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/389400777

I have not visited that location in person, and the aerial imagery is
not high enough resolution to see if there is a separate platform, so
it is hard for me to say.

The "gold standard" is survey: visiting the stop in location (and
riding the tram perhaps)

Do you know if the "platform" here is separate from the sidewalk in
some way? It should either be a different height, or a different
surface, or at least marked with a painted / thermoplastic line.
Otherwise the length of this "platform" way would be arbitrary: why
not include the whole block?

-- Joseph Eisenberg