[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Thu Mar 12 03:19:00 UTC 2020

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 23:09, Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  In inclement weather, passengers may well be found waiting in
> the transit shelter 8 metres to west, and the tram will stop for them
> if they are waiting in the shelter. It might also stop if you are
> waiting a little bit beyond the shelter
>
> In this case it sounds like the tram operators are allowed to stop in
> several different places.
>
> I would pick the place where the tram normally stops: either at the
> sign or the location of the shelter, depending on the standard
> practice in the local area. Either way, tram riders will be directed
> to the correct location by routing apps: an 8 meter difference is not
> significant.

But why pick one and not the other? Only for the sake of having one
point rather than two in a database? Especially in this case where
they can be fairly reasonably described as "stop position" (the sign)
and "waiting area" (the shelter).

> >  Berlin mapping of streetside tram stops like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/389400777
>
> I have not visited that location in person, and the aerial imagery is
> not high enough resolution to see if there is a separate platform, so
> it is hard for me to say.
>
> The "gold standard" is survey: visiting the stop in location (and
> riding the tram perhaps)
>
> Do you know if the "platform" here is separate from the sidewalk in
> some way? It should either be a different height, or a different
> surface, or at least marked with a painted / thermoplastic line.
> Otherwise the length of this "platform" way would be arbitrary: why
> not include the whole block?

In this particular case, there is not a platform that can be
distinguished - it's a curbside stop. The length of the "platform" way
appears to roughly match the length of the vehicles and thus the area
where the vehicles can be boarded (all-door boarding is in effect).
Berlin doesn't have many curbside stops but where they do exist, this
seems to be the prevailing local tagging.

--Jarek