[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

Felix Delattre felix-lists at delattre.de
Thu Mar 12 14:25:01 UTC 2020

Hi all,

It is good to see active conversations on improving mapping of public
transport. Many thanks for your proposal John and Stereo!

Reading through it, I appreciate it being quite short. And I like the
idea of optional route ways. However, I disagree on deprecating them
entirely. There are good reasons to use them. In (many) other cases it
is very attractive to rely only on stops and waypoints, for the reasons
you are outlining.

The additional option for hail and ride is a useful feature. About the
variable routes, I'm not that sure. At least the variable routes, I know
in life, are also switching their stops, for example in high traffic
hours, they are one block off.

Instead of naming this public transport version 3, I think we should
really try come back to tagging without versioning schemas. In this
context I like a lot Ilya's proposal
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Refined_Public_Transport)
which shows a good way get out of v1/v2/v3. And by the way, includes
also the idea of optional route ways.

> Should I use public_transport:version=3?
> Please don't. A route is either correct or not, and public transport
schema versions are not the same as software versions. The tag was
invented because PTv2 was not accepted by everybody. This schema
replaces (by incorporating) both of these, so the tag will be obsolete.

Cheers,
Felix