[Tagging] landuse meadow getting the right description emphases

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 05:46:41 UTC 2020

On 15/3/20 4:36 pm, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Unfortunately, a slight change to the description on the wiki will not
> stop mappers from using landuse=meadow for a wide variety of features.

Usually these are 'armchair mappers'. What they typically see is land cover not a land use.

> Currently there is even a tag meadow=perpetual for "meadows which are
> maintained by natural environmental conditions", which I would
> normally tag as natural=grassland.
>
> However, I do think that the description needs to say that it is
> mainly covered in grass and similar non-woody plants

There would be nothing wrong with tagging both

landuse=meadow

with

natural=grassland (or similar)

One is a land use the other a land cover.

> There are many areas of rangeland in semi-arid regions where the main
> vegetations is scrub or dwarf scrub (bushes and dwarf shrubs), where
> the primary landuse is grazing cattle or sheep. These areas are not
> tagged as landuse=meadow, because they are not a meadow or pasture:
> there is not much grass. Many of them can be tagged as natural=heath
> or natural=scrub, describing the semi-natural vegetation.

Here sheep give way to cattle in the more arid regions.

> The presence of mainly grass (or sedges, clover, other herbaceous
> plants) is just as important as the presence of grazing or occasional
> hay-cutting, to define a meadow or pasture.

The grass is not there once cut, the remains are stubble. Hence the word 'usually' can be employed?