[Tagging] landuse meadow getting the right description emphases

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 07:48:26 UTC 2020

On 15/3/20 6:25 pm, Tomas Straupis wrote:
> 2020-03-15, sk, 08:53 Warin rašė:
>> There is no real 'force' on a mapper to do anything. If a mapper chooses not to use the subtags then they don't have to.
>    landuse=meadow was mention together with natural=grassland etc. If
> it is only about subtags meadow=* - I'm fine with that.

Ok. So meadow must have grass etc. But it also must be used for grazing or producing 'hay'.

And that is the part that is missing from some uses.

By placing the use first I hope to reduce the misuse and place some emphases on the land use aspect rather than the fast reader just seeing the grass reference.

>> Similar can be said of many sub tags. If mappers want to map it then give them a way to do so in a logical manner.
>    Sure. That is why I commented. Amalgamating landuse for map
> rendering is not a trivial task.

Off topic, but indeed.

There are large areas of central Australia used for grazing that do not fit this 'meadow' description - nor should they,

Possibly landuse=grazing with natural=scrub or some other land cover tag could be used there.