[Tagging] landuse meadow getting the right description emphases

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 06:46:59 UTC 2020

On 15/3/20 4:55 pm, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> One is a land use the other a land cover.
> In practice they are both types of vegetation (grass + similar).
>
> Mappers have to base their tagging off of what can be seen: that's the
> type of vegetation (grass and other herbaceous plants), plus other
> clues such as fences, the presence of grazing animals, or other signs
> of mowing for hay or grazing.

Only the presence of grazing animal says 'landuse=meadow'.

Grass alone may be a field in crop rotation where it is left fallow.

>> The grass is not there once cut
> Generallly there is still a couple of centimeters of grass leaves
> remaining after mowing for hay. It looks like a mowed lawn, or the
> rough of a golf course, not nearly as short as the fairway or green.
> (Source: I used to work "bucking hay", lifting hay bales onto the
> truck, during high school)

I have several generation of farmers in my family.

I too have maneuvered hay bales, driven tractors, helped milk cows etc etc.

> On 3/15/20, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 15/3/20 4:36 pm, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, a slight change to the description on the wiki will not
>>> stop mappers from using landuse=meadow for a wide variety of features.
>>
>> Usually these are 'armchair mappers'. What they typically see is land cover
>> not a land use.
>>
>>> Currently there is even a tag meadow=perpetual for "meadows which are
>>> maintained by natural environmental conditions", which I would
>>> normally tag as natural=grassland.
>>>
>>> However, I do think that the description needs to say that it is
>>> mainly covered in grass and similar non-woody plants
>>
>> There would be nothing wrong with tagging both
>>
>> landuse=meadow
>>
>> with
>>
>> natural=grassland (or similar)
>>
>> One is a land use the other a land cover.
>>
>>> There are many areas of rangeland in semi-arid regions where the main
>>> vegetations is scrub or dwarf scrub (bushes and dwarf shrubs), where
>>> the primary landuse is grazing cattle or sheep. These areas are not
>>> tagged as landuse=meadow, because they are not a meadow or pasture:
>>> there is not much grass. Many of them can be tagged as natural=heath
>>> or natural=scrub, describing the semi-natural vegetation.
>> Here sheep give way to cattle in the more arid regions.
>>
>>> The presence of mainly grass (or sedges, clover, other herbaceous
>>> plants) is just as important as the presence of grazing or occasional
>>> hay-cutting, to define a meadow or pasture.

But grass can be present without being a meadow.