[Tagging] landuse meadow getting the right description emphases

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 00:31:51 UTC 2020

On 16/3/20 11:02 am, brad wrote:

> On 3/15/20 3:14 PM, Warin wrote:

>>> I disagree.  Perhaps a regional definition?  I think meadow is the
>>> land cover, pasture is the land use
>>> This would match my definition:
>>> Meadow:  "a field with grass and often wild flowers in it: "
>>> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/meadow
>>> or
>>> https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/meadow
>>> "A meadow is a field which has grass and flowers growing in it. "
>>>
>>> Locally, (Colorado, USA), we might call a grassy area high in the
>>> mountains an alpine meadow, and it may not have any domesticated
>>> animals grazing it.
>>

>> Is that not the tag natural=grassland? The tag natural=grassland is
>> for a land cover of grass .. I think that is what you want.
>>

>> The key' landuse' should not be used for land cover, so
>> landuse=meadow should not be used for any land cover.
>>
>> The presence of grass is an indication that the land use of grazing
>> or cropping of hay might, just might take place.
>>
> Good point.  I overlooked the left side of that equation, landuse=
> .     I still don't like landuse=meadow, but I guess this is British
> English, so I won't argue the point
>
> landuse = pasture, or hay
> and
> natural = meadow (or natural=grassland)
> Make more sense to me.
> Note that the definitions for meadow that I quoted talk about a
> landcover, not a landuse.

And here is an excellent demonstration of the problem with the OSM
description of landuse=meadow.

If the description contained the land use first then that would be more
prevalent in the mind of the reader, particularly when the reader is
after quick information.

> Perhaps we should deprecate landuse=meadow
>
> I think there could be a distinction between a meadow (something that
> may have more 'other stuff' than grass), and grassland.

What 'other stuff'?

Grass covers a lot more than the domestic stuff most are thinking of.
Some grasses get to over 2 metres (6 foot) tall.