[Tagging] landuse meadow getting the right description emphases

brad bradhaack at fastmail.com
Mon Mar 16 00:02:38 UTC 2020

On 3/15/20 3:14 PM, Warin wrote:
> On 16/3/20 6:01 am, brad wrote:
>> On 3/14/20 9:47 PM, Warin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> The present description of landuse=meadow is;
>>> An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily vegetated by grass and other non-woody plants, mainly used for hay or grazing.
>>> That places the land cover before the land use. The emphases should be on the land use, the land use should be first?
>>> Possibly a better description:
>>> An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily used to produce hay or for grazing of animals. Usually vegetated by grass and other non-woody plants.
>>>

>>> I am trying to get mappers not to use this for areas of grass land that could be more appropriatly tagged natural=grassland.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>> I disagree.  Perhaps a regional definition?  I think meadow is the
>> land cover, pasture is the land use
>> This would match my definition:
>> Meadow:  "a field with grass and often wild flowers in it: "
>> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/meadow
>> or
>> https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/meadow
>> "A meadow is a field which has grass and flowers growing in it. "
>>
>> Locally, (Colorado, USA), we might call a grassy area high in the
>> mountains an alpine meadow, and it may not have any domesticated
>> animals grazing it.
>

> Is that not the tag natural=grassland? The tag natural=grassland is
> for a land cover of grass .. I think that is what you want.
>

> The key' landuse' should not be used for land cover, so landuse=meadow
> should not be used for any land cover.
>
> The presence of grass is an indication that the land use of grazing or
> cropping of hay might, just might take place.

Good point.  I overlooked the left side of that equation, landuse= .
I still don't like landuse=meadow, but I guess this is British English,
so I won't argue the point

landuse = pasture, or hay
and
natural = meadow (or natural=grassland)
Make more sense to me.
Note that the definitions for meadow that I quoted talk about a
landcover, not a landuse.   Perhaps we should deprecate landuse=meadow

I think there could be a distinction between a meadow (something that
may have more 'other stuff' than grass), and grassland.