[Tagging] Addresses with PO Box, and other delivery type addresses.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 03:47:33 UTC 2020

On 19/3/20 1:57 pm, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> there don't appear to be any way to enter addresses that use Post Office Boxes
> Post office boxes are located at a post office usually, and that is
> mapped as amenity=post_office -
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpost_office

I am not talking of the physical thing, but entering the address of a feature.

Example:

The Barkly Homestead

Has an address of

PRIVATE BAG 32

Tennant Creek

Northern Territory  0862

In OSM I can enter the state, town and post code.
addr:village=Tennant Creek
addr:state=Northern Territory
addr:postcode=0862

I cannot enter the "PRIVATE BAG 32" as there is no OSM tag for it.

Humm just came across addr:place, that may do?
Err no "make sure there is a matchingplace <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place>=*  object of the same name to keep data consistent. It is required by Nominatim for it to be able to find the addresses using it"
there is no place that is "PRIVATE BAG 32" or "POST OFFICE BOX 3" ...

???