[Tagging] Ponds are not observable on the ground

pangoSE pangose at riseup.net
Thu Mar 19 13:15:02 UTC 2020

Hi

IMO pond should not be mapped because it is not observable on the
ground. How do you determine if it is
"artificially created"/"man made"?
See:

A pond <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond>: a body of standing water,
man-made in most cases, that is usually smaller than a lake.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dpond

Lake: a body of relatively still fresh or salt water, localized in a
basin that is surrounded by land. Artificially created lakes are tagged
aswater <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water>=pond
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dpond>orwater
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water>=reservoir
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir>.
Intermittent lakes (which disappear seasonally) should be tagged
withintermittent
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent>=yes; salt lakes —
withsalt
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:salt>=yes.https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dlake

As it stands right now in the wiki I suggest we either deprecate the tag
completely or change the definition to something that is observable on
the ground.

WDYT?