[Tagging] Ponds are not observable on the ground

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:38:23 UTC 2020

On 19/03/2020 13:15, pangoSE wrote:

> Hi
>
> IMO pond should not be mapped because it is not observable on the
> ground. How do you determine if it is
> "artificially created"/"man made"?

Most ponds that I add are as a result of survey, so "should not be
mapped because it is not observable on the ground" doesn't make a lot of
sense to me.  To be honest, I usually just leave them as natural=water,
but that's just my laziness.

> As it stands right now in the wiki I suggest we either deprecate the
> tag completely or change the definition to something that is
> observable on the ground.

If you're sat there looking at a pond, it's usually pretty obvious
whether it's man-made or not.  Has it got a man-made dam at one side and
is it fed by obviously man-made ditches?  Then it's probably man-made.
Is it just in a natural dip in the ground with none of those features?
Then it probably isn't.

Even if you're looking at imagery some of those features will still be
visible - mill ponds show up pretty clearly, as do the waterways created
to feed them.

Best Regards,

Andy