[Tagging] Updating definition and description of place=square

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 19:20:55 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 22. Mar 2020, at 15:13, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ummmmm, the name is everything?  So if it's named "Foo square" it's a place=square
> even if it's not a place for people to congregate and it's not square?

yes.

> Take a look
> at Finch's Square (aka Finch Square):
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.08304&mlon=-4.65750#map=19/52.08304/-4.65750
> It's not square.

squares can be of all shapes, triangular, rectangular, poligonal (regular or not), elliptical, round, etc.

> As rendered there appears to be more pedestrian space than there
> really is, it's basically roads with standard-size sidewalks.

pedestrian space is not a requirement

> It's not a place for
> people to congregate and (possibly) have public functions,

any open space can assume public functions and used to congretate. If a  sufficient number of people goes there, any space will become pedestrian

> it's effectively the town
> bus station, as can be seen here: https://goo.gl/maps/UjG2pbgG1kRSBu1bA
> I wouldn't use place=square on it, even though the name is "Finch's
> Square."

strange, why not?

>> So how does a mapper know when to use place=square?  Because the geometry
> is square?  They're not all perfect squares.  Because it has "Square" in its name?

yes, square or a related word that refers to an open space (as opposed to linear road/street)

> You can do a wildcard search in overpass for that, you don't need a
> place=square (but you'll also get the bus station above).

it’s not that simple, one of the conplications is the plethora of local names and variations.
And then there would still be the question what tag to use. If you want to tag squares as a feature (i.e. one square is one OpenStreetMap element), would you suggest to use just a name?

Cheers Martin