[Tagging] Updating definition and description of place=square

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:11:32 UTC 2020

The place=square tag is difficult to define.

   - It is an area that has often a name, but I know of areas that are
   clearly a square, but have no name (this unnamed square in Padua. If you
   refer to this space you would say the "square behind the supermarket", the
   street addresses of the buildings facing the square are of the nearby
   street)
   - They are often building free spaces surrounded by buildings, but often
   there are even massive buildings on them (Piazza Salvemini
   <https://www.google.it/maps/@45.4145533,11.8829414,3a,75y,114.28h,95.49t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0Tx4tM7-Vcmbjbo7wV-_dw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D0Tx4tM7-Vcmbjbo7wV-_dw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D151.5563%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=it>
   in Padua; Place Charles de Gaulle, Paris
   <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/xGtKBUpd5FMf3lEbq3UbCg>; Piazza del
   Colosseo <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/YMpq0NsQuXBRfyyTlVMzNA>, Rome)
   - It often has streets, or mainly has streets (Place d’Italie, Paris
   <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/Tn3L7OVaKkf4jmIatTyh9A>)
   - It often has or is a car park (Piazzale Boschetti, Padova - I have
   seen it used as central bus station and then as car park
   <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/X0hvpZVn_is-VSGshSJWxA>)
   - It may be (partially) pedestrian

Basically what I want to arrive at is: a square is usually a well defined
contiguous area in a city, which most often has a common name that refers
to the origin as a public space. But it has no default use in OSM. The uses
need to be added.

Volker

Virus-free.
<#m_-4046017772808238334_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>