[Tagging] Please fix unnamed square tagging / was: ... description of place=square

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 05:25:06 UTC 2020

> the keywords from the preset translation

Yes, thank you. (Sorry, I use a satellite internet connection, so iD
doesn't work too well for me):

"Praça ou largo: Praça, praceta ou largo: espaço numa zona urbana,
normalmente sem edifícios (apenas a volta desta), que constitui um
espaço público aberto"

This translates back to English as (approximately):
"Praça, praceta or largo: space in an urban area, usually without
buildings (except for around it), which constitutes a public open
space"

This definition is taken from the Data Item
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Item:Q6077 - where it is by far
the most complete definition.

Most of the others are just "A named square" translated into the local language:

Una plaza con nombre.
Une place nommée.
Piazza.
Pojmenované náměstí
Ein öffentlicher Platz

I'll update this to the new definition from the English page.

I've also created an Indonesian page, which gives a couple examples of
"alun-alun" in Indonesia which fit the definition:

1) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Alun-alun_Garut.jpg/400px-Alun-alun_Garut.jpg

2) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Alun_-_Alun_Bandung_Masjid_Raya_Bandung.jpg/400px-Alun_-_Alun_Bandung_Masjid_Raya_Bandung.jpg

But there are many other alun-alun that are grassy urban parks, not squares:

A) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zpwpVxKz0q0/UXoUmFzUAXI/AAAAAAAABpI/brIHP9_dQQY/s400/images.jpg

B) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alun-alun_Tugu_-_Bunder_-_panoramio.jpg

C) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Square_Trenggalek_-_Alun-Alun_Trenggalek_-_panoramio_(10).jpg

-- Joseph Eisenberg