[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:04:23 UTC 2020

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 12:31, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> The point is that the name in question isn't actually the name in de-CH,
> it's the Swedish name.

I was hoping some would understand better by reversing the positions.

> The general norm all over the world is that most places -don't- have names
> in languages that are not used locally.

Agreed.  There are a lot of named places in the world, ranging from
countries
down to short side-streets.  But some, the important and/or well-known ones,
do have names in other languages.

> Pretending that they do isn't a useful concept and yes they typically
> won't have transliterations either.

I'm not pretending the street I'm on has a name in Mandarin.  But the
country I'm in does.  As does the capital of my country.  My town,
probably not.

There is valid reason to permit foreign-language names where such exist
and to permit transliterations where orthography is sufficiently different
to make the local name incomprehensible.  Duplicating the name=*
in other languages than the local one(s) isn't sensible.

--
Paul