[Tagging] Updating definition and description of place=square

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:58:00 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 27. Mar 2020, at 13:06, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is untrue of British English, when speaking of town squares.  In geometry
> a square is a particular shape, a subset of the class of rectangles,  In the
> geometrical sense objects can be square regardless of their function.  But
> when you're talking (in British English) about a town square you're talking
> about a specific function, rather than the shape.

to give an example of an object which I would call a square (maybe not in English): https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.50997/-0.13430

Piccadilly Circus (note the different word).
Is this a town square for British people? I notice the English WP seems to avoid the word square (although it then calls it a plaza), while both, Italian and German, have the word piazza / Platz in the subtitle.

Cheers Martin