[Tagging] Updating definition and description of place=square

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:30:35 UTC 2020

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 21:59, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> to give an example of an object which I would call a square (maybe not in
> English): https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.50997/-0.13430
>
> Piccadilly Circus (note the different word).

Not a place I've ever been to.  But I can read about it...

Is this a town square for British people? I notice the English WP seems to
> avoid the word square (although it then calls it a plaza), while both,
> Italian and German, have the word piazza / Platz in the subtitle.

The first words of the first sentence of the first paragraph of that WP
article:
"Piccadilly Circus is a road junction and public space..."  Public space, so
as far as OSM tagging based upon British English goes, place=square.
It's called a circus rather than a square because, as the WP article
explains,
"In this context, a circus, from the Latin word meaning "circle", is a
round open
space at a street junction" and it was originally more closely circular.

So it's not square in shape and doesn't have "square" in the name but is a
public space and meets the current definition (well, as of last time I
looked a few hours ago) in the wiki of place=square.

With hindsight, place=public_space might have been better.  But we're
stuck with many historical tags.  You go to map with the tags you
have, not the tags you want (as Donald Rumsfeld said).

--
Paul